Skip to main content

Python : Exploring Objects similar to PowerShell

To be fair Python's REPL mode allows you to explore objects pretty easy. But since PowerShell has been my first language, I often tend to crib for similar experience.

P.S. - I do know that PowerShell language specs picked up quite many things from Python. Also, Python is my goto language on Linux platform as well.

So back to cribbing, I tend to miss most the exploring aspects of  PowerShell e.g. Get-Member and Format-* cmdlets until one day I sat down and wrote few functions in Python to give me a similar experience.


Getting Members

Enter GetMember.py, not a replacement for dir() in Python but this is more useful to me coming from PowerShell background.



Below is how I use it from my REPL, see that my function uses a package called Inspect and I use the GetMember function to inspect that itself :D





Format Object properties

Another thing which I miss most from the PowerShell world is that you can just pipe objects into Format-* cmdlet.

FormatList.py, not a hotshot function but gets work done.



See the usage below, makes life easy when you want to see the members (method and properties) on an object.



Popular posts from this blog

Test connectivity via a specific network interface

Recently while working on a Private cloud implementation, I came across a scenario where I needed to test connectivity of a node to the AD/DNS via multiple network adapters.  Many of us would know that having multiple network routes is usually done to take care of redundancy. So that if a network adapter goes down, one can use the other network interface to reach out to the node. In order to make it easy for everyone to follow along, below is an analogy for the above scenario: My laptop has multiple network adapters (say Wi-Fi and Ethernet) connected to the same network. Now how do I test connectivity to a Server on the network only over say Wi-Fi network adapter?

PowerShell + SCCM : Run CM cmdlets remotely

Today I saw a tweet about using implicit remoting to load the Configuration Manager on my machine by Justin Mathews . It caught my eye as I have never really tried it, but theoretically it can be done. Note - The second tweet says "Cannot find a provider with the name CMSite", resolution to which is in the Troubleshooting section at the end.

PowerShell : Trust network share to load modules & ps1

Problem Do you have a central network share, where you store all the scripts or PowerShell modules ? What happens if you try to run the script from a network share ? or if you have scripts (local) which invoke scripts or import PowerShell modules stored on this network share ? Well you would see a security warning like below (Note - I have set execution policy as 'Unrestricted' not 'bypass' here): Run a .ps1 from the network share Well this is a similar warning, which you get when you download scripts from Internet. As the message says run Unblock-File cmdlet to unblock the script and then run it, let's try it.